I’ve written a number of times about my attempts to propagate goumi from cuttings that did not overwinter to a seedling that turned out not to be goumi. Last year I ordered two goumi plants from a Canadian supplier but their supplier did not ship them so that order was cancelled.
This year I place the order again and it was filled with two extremely healthy plants that actually had fruit on them. I got to taste the fruit and can say that the quest has been well worth it. Goumi is a sweet, juicy treat.
I decided to have another go at propagating goumi so that I could get them on their own roots in case the graft failed. I took 10 semi-hardwood cuttings on August 3, dipped them in Stim-Root 10000, and stuck them in an intermittent misting bed where they got 10 seconds of mist every 10 minutes from 7 am to 7 pm.
Slowly the cuttings deteriorated as the leaves yellowed and dropped off – probably a sign of too much water. I’ve since then increased the perlite:peat ratio up to between 3:1 and 4:1.
One cutting pushed out a new leaf and showed resistance when I tugged gently at the cutting which suggested that roots had formed. So I gently pried in loose from the rooting medium with a fork and looked at the tiny roots. I potted in up in a perlite/peat mix gave it a watering with a transplant liquid fertilizer. Then I put it a sheltered spot out of direct sun. It failed to put out any more leaves and died.
But today when I looked at the remaining cuttings, two looked promising. One had put out a new leaf and the other had managed to keep one leaf. So once again, I carefully pried the cuttings out of the rooting material and found that each had roots started.
Perhaps this time will be the one where I get more goumi plants.